The Perfect Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
We are finally feeling fall here in Memphis, and that means it’s time to pull out the pumpkin spice! Synonymous with the fall season, pumpkin spice is the perfect addition to so many seasonal recipes. In this blog, we’ll dive into what makes pumpkin spice, which tea we suggest using, and share one of our favorite fall recipes - the Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte!
What is Pumpkin Spice?
Pumpkin spice was popularized by well-known coffee shops around the country, but what’s actually in it? Typically, pumpkin spice includes a combination of warm, aromatic spices that perfectly complement the fall flavors of pumpkin. Most often, these spices are:
- Cinnamon, to add warmth and sweetness.
- Nutmeg, to contribute a slightly nutty and woody flavor.
- Ginger, to offer zest and a spicy kick to the mix.
- Cloves, for a strong, aromatic, and slightly bitter taste.
What Tea Can I Enhance with Pumpkin Spice?
Several types of our tea can be turned into delightful fall-inspired beverages by simply adding pumpkin spice:
- Black tea - the bold and robust flavors of black tea complements the warmth of pumpkin spice.
- Chai - already spiced, chai tea is a great option for adding pumpkin spice to further enhance the flavor complexity.
- Green tea - offering a more delicate flavor, green tea infused with pumpkin spice is a unique and lighter take on the seasonal flavor.
- Rooibos tea - while most rooibos tea is already flavored, My Cup of Tea has both a delicious Chai Rooibos and a citrusy Orange Cream Rooibos that would pair well with pumpkin spice.
The Perfect Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
One of our favorite fall recipes is a Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte using our beloved Bluff City Chai Tea, and we want to share it with you!
2 cups of milk, whatever kind you like
- 2 Bluff City Chai Tea Bags
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Add 4 tbsp of pumpkin puree to a saucepan.
- Add pumpkin pie spices - ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and nutmeg - to the saucepan.
- Mash spices into the pumpkin puree on low heat until mixed thoroughly.
- Add 2 tbsp of brown sugar and 2 cups of milk to the saucepan.
- Add 2 Bluff City Chai Tea Bags to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the tea bags are removed, turn off the heat and add 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Stir until mixed.
- Pour mixture from the saucepan into a mug - contents will be hot!
- Enjoy your perfect Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte!
Shop My Cup of Tea
This October, enjoy 20% off each box of tea when you buy two or more from our Fall Festival of Tea Collection. This includes Bluff City Chai! Take advantage of this opportunity to experiment with our favorite Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte at home. If you want to follow along, head to our Youtube Channel where you can watch Danyelle make a Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte, talk about tea superstitions, and show you how to use tea to take a caffeine-free Halloween treat!
My Cup of Tea is a non-profit in Memphis, TN that serves as an office, packing hub, retail store, and place of refuge for the women of Orange Mound. Our mission is to provide women in our community with the tools they need to thrive. We import the highest quality tea from tea estates and gardens in the Far East where they are weighed, re-formatted, and packaged for sale by the women who work here. Your purchase of our teas or other products opens a pathway for positive change and upward mobility for the courageous women who create them. Learn more about our story here.